School is out and summer has arrived! It feels like it’s been a long winter and spring here in Washington – so bring on the summer sun. With the sun comes an array of fun summer activities for kids as well as adults – beach days, bike rides, barbecues, hiking – the list goes on. One thing that doesn’t cross many minds while venturing around is making sure you have healthy snacks and meals along the way. Don’t forget to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water too!
Stay healthy this summer and keep hunger at bay by using these snacking tips:
- Keep sliced veggies on hand for a healthy and filling snack break. Add some hummus or low-fat dressing to mix it up.
- Stay cool with a fruit and yogurt smoothie – try this chilly treat!
- Whole fresh fruit is a delicious and portable way to keep snacks sweet and healthy.
- Keep portion sizes in check – make sure that your snacks are not replicating meals. Use tools such as snack sized bags to help guide the portion sizes.
- Include protein! Adding protein to your snack will help you feel fuller longer. Great sources of on the go protein include low-fat string cheese, individual sized yogurt, and lean deli meats.
For more snack time tips and recipes, visit MyPlate.gov and DairyGood.org.